Wyckoff Wednesdays at the Ridgewood Bushwick Senior Center

Seniors come to the Ridgewood Bushwick Senior Center to take advantage of health services and festivities every other Wednesday. Dubbed Wyckoff Wednesdays, the biweekly event is organized by the student council at the Wyckoff Heights Medical Center.

Seniors from anywhere in New York City are welcome. The center offers blood sugar and blood pressure screenings. Afternoons culminate with bingo, pool and dancing.

On these Wednesday mornings, the senior center acts as a free clinic and a community center. The checkups are a helpful reminder, says medical student Raymond Ng, in a neighborhood where diabetes and hypertension are prevalent.

3 thoughts on “Wyckoff Wednesdays at the Ridgewood Bushwick Senior Center

1. Good stuff. I really like the story.

I like the variety of shots, but I personally wish there was a little bit more on the medical importance of the event. Maybe some more of the exams? Maybe some stats showing why an event like this is important? Is there a large senior community in Bushwick? I there a dearth of affordable health care? Etc., etc.

I also wish you had an interview with one of the patients, only because it’s a lot of talk about how helpful the program is to seniors, but only from the doctor’s perspective. It would be nice to actually get a senior’s voice on how much they appreciate the doctors’ work.

There’s one volume issue, at around 1:08, where the doctor’s voice is suddenly really low. Also, I think the shifts between party and the interview were pretty noticeable. Otherwise, I think think your levels were great and the image quality awesome.

I like it!

2. I agree with a lot of Guia’s comments, both good and constructive. Having a patient talk on camera (or a vox pop of several patients) would have added a little depth. You had a good variety of shots that mostly make perfect sense with the audio.

You also have a lot of audio filling up the video early before breaking it up with ambi from the dancing and event. The establishing audio could have been broken up a little more, I think. It’s a little strange to go from nothing but talking for a minute into the natural audio.

On top of that, I’d cut out the first 25 seconds of audio or so. The doctor is telling us stuff that could be explained in a title card before he gets to the point of what the event is. We were told in the title where the event is, so he doesn’t need to repeat it.

There is also one part where the audio of the guy on the microphone seems off.

Other than that, it’s a very good topic for a video and it was well executed. I do, however, hate the sight of real blood. But that’s a personal problem.