MicroOffice helps businesses start small

MicroOffice helps businesses start small from Jesse D. Leon on Vimeo.

Some small businesses are content to stay based in home-offices or garages, but many are ready to take the next step into professionalism.

“There’s a certain level of financial dedication that it takes, and a certain level of mental dedication, of ‘I’m doing this,’ and when you’re at that point, you’re ready for office space,” said David Rotbard, founder of MicroOffice.

MicroOffice gives its clients a range of options from virtual offices to corner suites with windows, helping many small business grow and put on a more professional appearance. MicroOffice has nine floors in four buildings around Manhattan, including a building blocks away from Pennsylvania Station in Midtown and one overlooking Union Square Park.

With a fancy Manhattan address, a receptionist, kitchen, lobby and conference rooms included in their rent, MicroOffice’s tenants find that their vendors, customers and contractors all take them more seriously.

“It gives us the impression of being a much larger company than we are, which is very, very helpful in today’s market, while allowing a reasonable rent for a small business to survive and compete,” said Jeremy Green, of Futura Power Inc., an energy consulting company, who has a cubicle by the window.

Rotbard said that when he started MicroOffices, he expected it to be a launchpad for small businesses to get their start. He said he was pleasantly surprised to find that some customers stuck with him, like Sokol Brahn, an immigration lawyer who has been renting a cubicle with MicroOffice for six years.

“It’s a good place, it’s in the middle of Manhattan,” Brahn said. “It’s good for me, I’m a solo practitioner, I don’t need a big space, a big office.”

One thought on “MicroOffice helps businesses start small

1. Jesse, the video was very informative as far what MicroOffice is and how it helps small start up businesses. I liked the interviews you had with David Rotbard. The audio was very clear and I also liked that you were able to get some nat sound from the office like the printing of documents at a cubicle.
    The story was clear and you showed how MicroOffice brings professionalism into the lives of some people looking to start a business by having nice shots of the office space. The detail shots of what was in the office like the printers, individual cubicles, kitchen, etc also helped me visualize the space these people were using.
    Your audio levels were a little low around 1:53 when Jeremy Green comes in and starts talking about what the space means to him. It didn’t match the levels you had when Rotbard and Eva Potter were speaking.
    Also, I would have liked to seen some interaction among these people that were in the office. Maybe some of them talking in the kitchen while taking a break or talking by their cubicles. Most of the shots were a bit repetitive like those of the office furniture.
    I thought the length could have been a bit shorter, especially towards the end when you shots of Rotbard talking. They were nice shots but I thought they held for too long and needed some broll in between.
    I liked your ending, especially since it answers the questions of where he sees MicroOffice to be in the future and how it is currently doing. Maybe if you had some audio of him talking about what kind of small businesses were renting out the space, it would give the viewer an idea of the types of businesses people had. And I was also wondering when MicroOffice opened, I don’t think you have that in your video or also in the blog post. Is this something new or have they been around for awhile?
    Overall, I thought the piece was clean and very organized. I liked the concept behind MircoOffice and the interviews sharpened the piece and gave a feel of what kind of professionalism MicroOffice can give to its tenants.